Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Friday, January 28, 2005

Is Michael Spivak the coolest mathematician ever?
Posted by Raznor

I mean, second to me, Raznor, that is.

I'm currently working my way through Spivak's Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry Vol I (it's nearly 500 pages, and the first installment in a five-volume set, which is what we mathematicians call "pretty fucking comprehensive") and he has quite a number of humorous little lines in there, and I'm only on the first chapter. Included among these:

"For many years I have wanted to write the Great American Differential Geometry book."- pg ix

"After this hassle with point-set topology, we present the long-promised examples of manifolds."- pg 6

"There is one 2-manifold of which mostbudding mathematicians make the acquaintance when they still know more about paper and paste than about metric spaces - the famous Moebius strip."- pg 9-10

And that's as far as I've gotten. I wish I had a picture of the cover to show you, for it is too unbelievably awesome for words.

That is all.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're still following these comments, you should check out the covers of the original paperback editions.

12/29/2006 4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home