Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Paradise Now
Posted by Ross

The synagogue where the bekka works had a screening of this film last week with a Q&A with Ali Suliman, who played Khaled in the film (he spoke through an interpreter). The co-writer/director Hany Abu-Assad was supposed to be there too, but got held up in Holland on visa problems.

I found "Paradise Now" to be one of the most powerful films I've ever seen. The Palestine of this film is a shithole. No natural beauty, people living on top of each other, no escape, no hope. Even the "haves" of this society live a spartan existence. Even those who are organizing and financing the suicide missions are prisoners in this hell. All I kept thinking while watching this film was that if I had to live like that, I would want to die.

Someone needs to get a Sudanese filmmaker into Darfur. Such is the power of cinema.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home