Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005


The Midnight Rambler...
MVP Baseball 2005: Uh-oh
Posted by Ross

I finally got it yesterday, the newest, greatest, most technologically advanced version of EA Sport's legendary MVP Baseball.

And you know what? It was only $30.

See, in the past, those games went for $50 but now that ESPN's selling its new games for $20, EA had to drop its price tag.

And the guy who was selling me the game tried to convince me that the ESPN game was amazing... which it probably is. I've seen the commercials, and the shameless advertising they do for it on Baseball Tonight.

But I'm true EA Sports through and through. This has something to do with the fact that the first great baseball video game I ever played was a Nintendo game called RBI Baseball. It was the first game I played that had real players (even though they all looked like pixilated sacks of potatoes).

RBI Baseball, was, of course, an EA Game. And since that time back, I guess, at the end of the 80s, beginning of the 90s, I have played just about every EA Baseball incarnation, from RBI Baseball to Triple Play Baseball, all the way to MVP Baseball.

Think about that. A first-hand account of the evolution of the greatest baseball game of all-time (according to me, at least).

And holy crap, MVP 2005 is loaded. The games are way more involved, more realistic. You have to really use your head as you pitch, and making quality pitches is more difficult. The players are more realistic-looking, and even look remotely like the real thing. A long way indeed from those potato sacks.

And now here I am, unable to sleep at night, writing about the video game I'm likely going to start playing the minute I post this midnight rambling.

Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home