Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Infamous Vocab Quiz
Posted by Raznor

This has been making the rounds:

I wish Bush would be (coherent, eschewed) for once during a speech, but there are theories that his everyday diction charms the below-average mind, hence insuring him Republican votes.


Of course conservative bloggers are blowing this way out of proportion, but they're conservative bloggers. Blowing stuff way out of proportion is what they do. If not for that, all they'd do is sit at home with a doobie and a bowl of nachos watching Fox News - and we all know how evil marijuana is! But I do have a problem with this question.

Frankly, I have nothing against making fun of the president in a quiz like this, especially if you've already developed a jovial mood with your students regarding politics. But I think it's greatly inappropriate to imply that Republican voters are dumb. Bush is dumb is just canon, but a Republican student reading this, or a student with Republican friends, or any combination, would be quite hurt and offended by this. I say this as both a teacher and a student.

Merely offending students is not enough to merit disciplinary action, and frankly this teacher sounds pretty cool, but I would never write something like this for my students. Frankly this should be something that just blows over, and that this is even something of note for people who live nowhere near where this teacher is is quite ridiculous. But that's my two cents.

. . . I'll add too that it pisses me off that conservative students always seem to go to the media when they're offended. "Oh, you offended my sensibilities - now you've got Fox News and David Horowitz up your ass." What utter bullshit is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home