Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Midnight Rambler
Posted by Ross

Thinking about Grandma dying, I guess, has me thinking about our very ephemeral role in this speedily evolving world. An entire generation is leaving this world for good. The Greatest Generation that saved the world from the Nazis is departing.
The concept of evolution fascinates me, I mean in a sort of sociological way, in actually witnessing it impacting our daily lives.

One of the aspects I find most annoying about politics is that it’s fighting for a world order that’s already on the way out.

I think for the first time since the sixties, we are at a generation defining moment. And that generation is our generation, the one that Time Magazine called the Twixters, or some such nonsense. We’re still very young, and we’re watching a troubling world unfold before our eyes.

When my dad was a kid, he believed he would see the end of the world in his lifetime. Afterall, he lived through Korea and the Cuban Missile Crisis and Vietnam. The assassinations of two Kennedys, Martin Luther King and Malcom X. Nuclear proliferation. Just to name a few.

And here we are, once again, a generation that must be asking itself, are we going to see the end of the world in our lifetime?

It’s not very pragmatic to plan for it, but it certainly troubles me, makes me want to seek out safe answers. I wonder, though, if this is a way in which I am being controlled. A way of keeping me in my shell, of not participating in the world.
Maybe this isn’t about picking a side, hunkering down and screaming at anyone who disagrees with me, but rather being receptive to what’s around me and not letting this great big world get me down. I gotta learn to keep a hold of my head and keep my feet on the ground. Or at least that’s what the Kinks said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home