Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Thursday, May 08, 2003

No X Chromosomes

Earlier, I wrote regarding a procedure that derived an egg from mouse embryo cells, and the possibility if that could be extended to humans (damn my permalinks):

The only problem with making the jump to the last paragraph that I see is what happens if an embryo has two "Y" chromosome? From what I know of biology/genetics (which admittedly is not much) I would suspect that the Y chromosome is a dominant, so it could be nothing except just another male, or possibly some sort of crazy uber-male. But then, nowhere in nature do we have examples of animals with two Y chromosomes (as far as I'm aware), so it could potentially have negative, unforeseen effects.


Well, it appears that Instapundit has the answer to that. Go read it. In the meanwhile I'll hang my head in shame at my general ignorance regarding genetics in writing the above paragraph. (Hey, I never said I knew what I was talking about)

In the meanwhile, this marks the third e-mail I got from someone who doesn't know me, and the second far more popular blog to link to me. Go Raznor, go Raznor!

Update: Okay, so this isn't the famous Glenn Reynolds, but rather dipnut over at Instapundit or something like this. This may create a conflict of interest, as sooner or later I may have to refute some of his conservative crap, but in the meanwhile, I'll still revel in the whole being linked to thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home