Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Friday, January 04, 2008

Post Iowa

Posted by Raznor

As I said, I was hoping Edwards would win it in Iowa, and I still think Edwards is the best candidate, but still, I can't help being excited by Obama and the prospect of a black president.

I can't tell if Obama's rhetoric means he doesn't understand the partisan rancour of Washington and the level of corruption of the beltway, and will end up, a la Reid and Pelosi, caving in to every Republican demand, or if it means he understands it perfectly, and has the ability to package progressive change so that the establishment will accept it. I hope for the latter, but the last 7 years of politics have left me quite cynical with politics in general.

Still, I can't help but feel inspired by the Obama candidacy. It's an emotion that has no rational thought behind it, but it's there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elyce said...

I can so relate. Obama was not impressive in the NH debates (actually I was most impressed by Bill Richardson, the only one who didn't just pick a mantra and repeat it ad nauseum), but it is exciting to think about what it means in this culture to have a black president. Of course, it also means that this culture needs testosterone even more than whiteness in the office, eh? I don't know if Obama is in the back pocket of drug companies, as Michael Moore argues, or if not; if he actually has strong stands on anything or if he's just got charisma. But as a "yellow dog democrat," I'll be voting for him or whoever runs as the democratic candidate. Cheers and Happy New Year!

1/07/2008 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home