Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Sunday, December 03, 2006

More on the day after World AIDS Day

Posted by Raznor

Though I guess by now it's more like two days after. I'm saying up late to try to get my apartment a bit more organized. But in the meanwhile, I thought I'd post this.

Rude Pundit commemorated World AIDS day with an appropriate quote from Angels in America. In a similar vein, I thought I'd post what is my favorite quotation from the same play.

"But still. Still.

Bless me anyway.

I want more life. I can't help myself. I do.

I've lived through such terrible times, and there are people who live through much much worse, but . . . You see them living anyway. when they're more spirit than body, more sores than skin, when they're burned and in agony, when flies lay eggs in the eyes of their children, they live. Death usually has to take life away. I don't know if that's just the animal. I don't know if it's not braver to die. But I recognize the habit. The addiction to being alive. We live past hope. If I can find hope anywhere, that's it, that's the best I can do. It's so much not enough, so inadequate but . . . Bless me anyway. I want more life."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home