Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Thursday, October 23, 2003

Thoughts on Elliott Smith

I'm spending the week visiting my brother and his girlfriend in LA. So, that's why I haven't posted in so long. Still, this morning I heard that Elliott Smith has committed suicide. The news put me in shock. Most of the next hour was spent not believing it was even possible. I reflected all day, and later listened to the song "Angeles" from Either/Or and it hit me. I listened to the whole song on the verge of tears. Even as I write this I'm listening to "Waltz #2 (XO)" and I want to cry.

Besides the fact that he was an immensely talented songwriter, he meant a lot to me. It's hard to think of any other person who I haven't met who has had such a profound and positive impact on me through his work. When I spent a semester in Budapest last year, I went through some intensely difficult times, and was pretty depressed at times. Anytime I was feeling particularly low, I could listen to Elliott Smith music and soothe my soul. Besides support from friends and family then, Elliott Smith was a large part of what got me through tough times.

And the benefit of his gift is even now, as his death has left me shocked and saddened, his music can once again get me through it. He'll be missed by me if no other fan, but I'd like to think the world is slightly better for having him and his art before his tragic end.

This was mostly stream of consciousness off the cuff thoughts. Maybe I'll write something more coherent tomorrow or Friday. I knew I needed to get some thoughts out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home