Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Monday, August 11, 2003

Slow blogging but had to mention this one

What small readership I had earlier is probably gone by now after the slow bloggin' summer, I hope to reinvigorate this blog when I get back to Portland at the end of the month.

Still, for what readership I have I have to this (via August):

Lawyers for Fox who filed the complaint also take issue with Mr. Franken's book cover because it "mimics the look and style" of two books written by Bill O'Reilly, a prominent Fox News personality. Mr. O'Reilly is also pictured on the cover, just beneath the word "Lies."

The court papers refer to Mr. Franken, who is a former "Saturday Night Live" writer and performer, as a "parasite" who hopes to use Fox's reputation to confuse the public and boost sales of his book.

Mr. Franken is also accused of verbally attacking Mr. O'Reilly and other Fox personalities on at least two occasions, and of being "either intoxicated or deranged" as he flew into a rage at a press correspondents' dinner in April 2003. Mr. Franken has not filed a response in court to the suit.


I really have no comment on this. I mean what do I say? Fox News has no credibility and they can't take dissent? I mean, is anyone readint this who didn't already know this? And, my god, it's called satire! Any reasonable person should know that Al Franken is going to use exaggeration to emphasize his points. Fortunately, this fact should allow him to get this frivolous law suit dismissed in any court.

Update: Turns out that the basis of the lawsuit isn't the libel part, but copyright infringement, since the title is Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Theml: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right. To which, I can merely say, "Ugh".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home