Raznor's Rants

Costarring Raznor's reality-based friends!

Thursday, March 27, 2003

Massive surrender?

In my Vietnam class the other day, my teacher mentioned how the according to the Defense Department, an entire Iraqi division of 8000 soldiers had surrendered to US troops. But in the meanwhile, other sources claim just over 3000 Iraqi POWs. So the question was, what happened to those 8000 captured soldiers?

Well here's the answer (via Atrios):

The US military has been forced to admit the 8,000 Iraqi soldiers they claimed to have captured last week are now battling British forces.

The article mentions DoD confusion led by paramilitary, but there aren't 8000 POWs. The whole thing was a lie. Okay, now once again this is me just shooting my mouth off, and I may be completely wrong on this, but I'm guessing the DoD figured we'd be fighting the 51st later, and wanted to give the impression of a cakewalk like Gulf War I, so they said that once again there's mass surrender by Saddam's forces. But then the 51st engaged the British military, and the DoD couldn't cover that up, and now they're trying to cover their asses.

And of course, it'll probably work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home